Osteoarthritis (‘OA’) can appear in people of all ages, but it is more commonly experienced by senior citizens. OA risk factors include weak muscles, reoccurrence of a previous joint problem, obesity, family history, and age. Osteoarthritis is a chronic disease of which there is no cure.
Treatments are available to help manage some symptoms. Management of OA involves improving mobility and flexibility, managing the symptoms of pain, swelling and stiffness, exercise, and keeping a healthy weight.
Even though exercise is the last thing you want to do when you are in pain, Orthopedic specialist says that exercise is a beneficial manager of pain and flexibility (HealthGrades). Simple activities like walking, light swimming, or an easy yoga class goes a long way in reducing pain, improve stamina and energy levels, while also keeping your weight down.
A daily routine involves:
- Perform gentle exercises and stretching before bed for flexibility.
- Don’t stand and sit for prolonged periods. Walk around at least every half hour or so.
- Avoid repetitive movements.
- Manage your weight and quit smoking.
- Perform activities, a little bit at a time each day.
- Plan to move a little every day.
- Perform light exercises gradually performing strength training.
- Include low-impact aerobic exercises.
- Avoid activities that cause pounding on your joints or stressful repetitive motions.
Treating osteoarthritis should never be a DIY treatment plan. A qualified orthopedic specialist from the Osteo Relief Institute of Wall Township in the Shore Region of South Jersey can provide medical care and self-management tools. Osteo Relief Institute doctors can show you how to live a quality, pain-free life for many years.
An Osteo Relief Institute specialist can offer different treatment options. An Osteo Relief Institute doctor can prescribe the safest medications to take without any side effects, i.e., NSAIDs, topical analgesics, acetaminophen and other medical solutions.
A physical therapist can outline the right resources to enable you to move and manage your body to minimize pain and increase mobility. Some Osteo Relief Institute patient’s may need surgery with options that include minimally invasive joint repair, fusions, and joint replacements.
More about Osteo Relief Institue at https://www.manta.com/c/mh1gns9/osteo-relief-institute-jersey-shore